Thursday, July 23, 2015

Where It All Started


The Slums
Thursday, July 23, 2015
Day 12
Kenya is filled with government-owned housing called slums. When you think of someone going on a mission trip to Africa, this is what you probably imagine. 

One-room houses built out of mud and sticks with tin roofs. Hundreds of people living in close quarters. Most don't have jobs and are starving on a daily basis. A lot of the kids at Fiwagoh come from slums, so we packed up two pairs of brothers (Alex, Vintage, John, and Zechariah - who are all cousins) and Pastor Benson took them and the team to the slum they are from. 

We brought bags that contained maize, beans, cooking oil, and soap. We passed the bags out to some families and walked with them to their homes. 

Some senior boys came with us, as well. An older woman named Ruth Wangico needed help carrying. Her bag was heavy, so Johari and I helped her carry it to her home. Ruth immediately grabbed my hand and you could just see The Joy of The Lord on her face. 

Johari translated for me since she didn't speak any English and she said, "I've never held a mzungu's hand before." And I thought about how no one has ever held my hand so tightly. 

Ruth told us that her husband is very sick. We went inside to meet him and their grandson. The room was just a little bigger than my bathroom at home. They don't have beds and just sleep on the dirt floor. 

Her husband talked a lot. Johari translated some of it and other things he kept to himself. Ruth took us outside and in a very hushed tone explained to us that her husband is an alcoholic. I got to pray over Ruth's family and home and then we took a picture together. 

Johari and I walked back to the team's central location where Rachelle was handing out some bracelets with bible verses on them. A man came up to me and started speaking in Swahili. 

Zechariah and John were nearby and stood in between me and the man. John (11) held on to my hand while Zechariah (13) told the man in Swahili to leave us alone and go away.  The man was drunk and the situation would have been fine of the young boys had not been there, but the fact that they protected and cared for me meant the world. 

The boys wanted to show us their home, so they walked the whole team over there. We met their mom and aunts earlier, but they did not hug the boys or show them any love. It was as if they were distant acquaintances rather than family. We were the only ones in the home and prayed for those who lived in it.

Pastor Benson then drove us around to see where Fiwagoh all started... Their first home! They had 12 kids living in this three-room house. They later moved to a five-room house and had 112 kids living there before they moved to the compound where they live now.

We got back to Fiwagoh, played with some kids, took some pictures and had a blast. I helped the cooks make ugali and then I ran to the med clinic because I found out that one of my boys was sick.

Currently, I am at the local hospital with my sweet boy, Boniface, Johari, and one of the nurses on our team. Boniface has an immune deficiency disorder which causes him to get sick very easily. 

PLEASE pray for my sweet friend. He was the first boy I met here and has had a huge impact in my life. Pray for wisdom for the doctors and healing for my boy.

Asante Sana (thank you very much)!

Update
Boniface got an IV and some rest and was able to return to the orphanage with us. A smile will not leave his face on the ride back!

"Blessed is the one who considers the poor!  In the day of trouble the Lord delivers him; the Lord protects him and keeps him alive; he is called blessed in the land; you do not give him up to the will of his enemies.  The Lord sustains him on his sickbed; in his illness you restore him to full health." -Psalm 41:1-3

No comments:

Post a Comment