Monday, June 23, 2014

A Week to Remember

Fiwagoh

End of Week One

June 21, 2014


Fiwagoh is Seventh Day Adventist, so their Sabbath starts at sundown on Friday night and ends at sundown on Saturday night. During Sabbath, it is a complete day of rest. We don't do dishes, wash clothes, clean up, or lift a finger. We are suppose to just focus on loving one another and worshiping God. 


Church services at Fiwagoh last from about 9am-2pm on Saturdays. Yes, it is very long, but very wonderful. I sat by Bonniface, Jafari, Ian, Joseph, and several others as we all praised our Savior and heard sermons.


After the service, we went on a nature walk! Fiwagoh has the most beautiful view I have ever seen and we got to have a closer look at the lake and mountains that the orphanage overlooks. It was about a mile to the lake which, of course, the kids wanted a hundred pictures of. Then we walked a little further to another side of the lake to THE most beautiful scene i have ever seen. It's one of those moments that a picture just can't capture all of the beauty surrounding you. I just had to take it in and hope that I would never forget it.


Pastor Benson gathered everyone for a group photo. Jessica, Dr. Rick and I did not get the memo that it was just for the orphans, so the new group photo of the Fiwagoh kids will include three Mzungus. 


I stepped in mud in the process, but it made the kids laugh so I just shook it off and decided to worry about it later.


I was walking with Faith (HIV positive) and Victoria. We were towards the end of the group and as we looked ahead, we saw people literally climbing up a mountain, surrounded by sheep and a shepherded. It was something you see in movies about old times, but don't ever imagine seeing in real life. When we got to the top, we saw even a more beautiful view. Pictures will come when I get home because words cannot do it justice. When we got back, Faith and Victoria got down and washed my feet off for me. 


I've gotten really close to so many people of every different age here in such a short amount of time. It amazes me that two weeks ago, I didn't know anyone here. It breaks my heart that a week from now, I won't get to spend every day with these new friends that I have grown to love.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks again, Shelby. I love your posts. Take care and enjoy your next week.

    ReplyDelete