Monday, February 27, 2017

Love Crosses Oceans

I am so excited about an amazing opportunity! In September, I will be moving to Gulu, Uganda to serve for 6 months with Four Corners Ministries. 

As many of you know, I have a passion for education, working with people who have disabilities, and sharing the Gospel of Jesus Christ. These passions combined while I was on a mission trip in Nakuru, Kenya in 2014.

I met a 13-year-old boy with an intellectual disability. He was in a class with 3-year-olds because he was unable to pass basic tests that would send him to a higher grade. It broke my heart to see how many people in other countries have very little, or no knowledge about people with disabilities. They are often seen as a curse, hidden away from society. 

My goal is to remove this stigma and help places around the world understand how truly wonderful people with disabilities are. In 2015, I was able to return to the same orphanage and assist a special educator as she performed IQ tests on 10 children who we thought might have disabilities. From these experiences, The Lord gave me a desire to work with nonprofits on enhancing special education at a global level.

As of 2014, there were about 2.5 million children living with a disability in Uganda, with the northern region having the highest prevalence. This same study states that only about 9% of these students are enrolled in a primary school.

The Lord has answered my prayers and has given me an amazing opportunity to accomplish this dream of providing Hope & Education For Every Nation. With Four Corners, I will be raising awareness around the community and showing others how to recognize a person's abilities rather than their disabilities. 

I will be training the teachers at Abaana's Hope in the area of special education. Most importantly, I will be telling the Acholi people group about the good news of Jesus Christ!

Please help me with my life's passion of Hope & Education for Every Nation. I have an exciting fundraising opportunity coming up, so please stay in touch to help send me to Uganda!



3 comments:

  1. Shelby, I'm so proud of you and excited for you. What an awesome opportunity!I'll share your posts and do anything I can to help you get there. I love you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an amazing opportunity for you.... To share God's word and to teach.... So very proud of you and what you have planned for your life. Looking forward to hearing more about your plans and experiences...
    Psalm 77:19 (LB) "Your road led by a pathway through the sea - a pathway no one knew was there".

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shelby, your dad is a friend of ours. We are so proud of you and for your ability and willingness to help children, therefore, helping our world. We look forward to your upcoming fundraiser details. War Eagle!
    Fayne Howle AU '78

    ReplyDelete